Saturday, October 15, 2011

"if you're hypothyroid and you know it raise your hand"...

Golly... I am finally finding some sort of normal...  Medication adjustments take time and patience, and time and patience...

I canned a bit lately, and am missing my goats that we sold in the spring.  The leaves are changing colors now in my yard and I am (almost) missing our usual weeks on end of cider-pressing.  This is how I know I am getting back to normal...  My husband also told me that he liked dinner tonight; finally a night without frozen burritos!  

I'm still reading.  I am LOVING Peace Like A River by Leif Enger.  I am reading much slower than I normally do because I love his formation of prose.  I tend to get lost in the poetry of the words and forget the action and movement of the novel itself.  It is the story of a brother and sister, journeying with their father, to find their older brother who has been charged with murder.  It is beautiful and clean fiction.

Side note: For leaving comments I believe all you have to do is click on the word "comments" at the end of each posting...  Just in case...

books i've read:
French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano - Okay, I know.  Very "intellectual", right?  I didn't learn how to eat growing up, so this book actually taught me a lot.  It has a nice chatty tone, and even has some yummy recipes inserted.  She shares tales of her childhood and tidbits and tricks to keeping healthy and happy.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling - This was a book club selection.  I rebelled against reading it: I don't like fantasy, but I thoroughly enjoyed this.  The "fantasy" was believable as it was knitted perfectly into real life situations.  For those that don't know, it is the beginning tale of a young boy who has been raised without the knowledge of his parents' wizarding past and is about to embark on a journey of self-discovery and magic.
Dearest Friend: A Life of Abigail Adams by Lynne Witney - After reading this biography, I decided that Mrs Adams and I would have been dear friends.  It was well-written.  It was not overwhelming and was decidely focused on issues that would interest women readers - what were the women doing while the men were politicking and fighting? 
Tallgrass by Sandra Dalllas - Admittedly, not my favorite Sandra Dallas novel.  It was fairly predictable but the background story was interesting.  The setting is a town in Eastern Colorado which housed a Japanese internment camp during WWII.  It shared details of the ineractions between the detainees and the townsfolk.  It is a murder mystery during this time of heavy suspicion.  I liked The Chili Queen (also by Ms Dallas) much better for its shocking plot twist.
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale - Are fairy tale retellings fantasy?  Maybe I enjoyed Harry Potter so much I decided the branch out.  Who knows?  I enjoyed this young adult book as well.  I DO like stories that take place in a forgotten place during a forgotten time, and the author needs to take you there and show you this world... but without telling you everything.  I enjoyed Ms. Hale's writing enough to read other her other books, too.

Do you read more during the colder months?  Do you have a "to read" list for the winter?

I do - but it is always changing.  It is a huge pile on my desk - one is the other book by Leif Enger. So Brave, Young, and Handsome; Wilkie Collins's The Dead Secret; and Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens are some of the pile...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're beginning to feel better. I've missed your blogging! I think I do read more in the colder months. I recently finished My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier and now I'm working on Jamaica Inn, also by her.

    ReplyDelete